Back to the wine tasting part of the program… we stopped at the first place to taste wine (when people go on wine tastings in South Africa, they normally do four places in one day. Let’s just say, I’m pretty sure that I would not have been able to handle four). Did you know that if you are walking in a vineyard, you’ll see a lot of rose bushes? Roses are one of the most susceptible plants to disease. So if a vineyard owner notices diseases in her roses, she can act quickly to save her grape vines. We learned other random facts about the vineyard such as the fact that weddings can be held there for about R200 a head. That’s about 30 US dollars per person. Can you believe how cheap a wedding would be? It would have been amazing to have been there during the preparation for a wedding. (I used to want to be a wedding planner so this stuff still has a special place in my heart… thank you J-Lo). We were treated to grapes, crackers, and fancy-pants cheeses when we finally sat down to taste wine. It really is an art, tasting wine. There are special ways to look at the color and determine what it means, along with smell and viscosity. It’s too bad that I’m not the biggest fan of wine. But some of them were good, and I ended up getting one bottle of exclusively South African wine as a present for 70 Rand. This is the equivalent of 7 American dollars. I still can’t get over that.
We headed to our next destination for a fancy-pants lunch. [By now, you’ve noticed my new word of choice: “fancy-pants.” I say this when I think that things are classier than my means or upper class in my definition]. We had chicken cordon bleu with salad. To be honest, it was just average. I find this to challenge my initial thoughts of what it means to be fancy-pants. It’s coming from the upper-class to me and to not have my food be amazing was almost disappointing. Maybe I am just a steak and potatoes or chicken curry and rice girl.
After lunch came our final wine tasting site. We had our choice of what we wanted to taste [better than the last vineyard]. I decided to bring back dessert wine since I had never had it before in the states (not that I would have anyway because I’m not 21……). I paid around three American dollars for each bottle I brought! The rest of the time here was left to exploring a small market-type area. Some of the group went to find where they were keeping the cheetahs. Yes, there were cheetahs at a vineyard; you could even pet them if you wanted if you had enough Rand to pay. Does this make sense to you? It really didn’t to me. Let’s exploit animals as a way to get more funding… like the owners of the vineyard aren’t already rich.
I was in and out of sleep for most of the way to the first destinations and missed the scenery part of the tour. Seriously, South Africa is one of the most beautiful places on earth with rolling mountains and grassy prairies all over. But I still remember the funny and almost disgusted feeling I had when we got closer to Mowbray. On the way, not only do we pass our home township of Gugulethu but Khayelitsha and Langa as well. Khayelitsha is one of the biggest townships in South Africa with around 1 million people living there. Now, in Gugulethu we stayed in houses and there were shacks around them. From what we learned about Khayelitsha, there are mostly shacks there. Just by passing in a tour bus I could tell that it was in poor shape. Some of the shacks didn’t even look sturdy, simply five pieces of tin thrown together in the form of a house. People have to live there; some never even see life outside of the townships. I’m sorry, if it was me… I don’t know if I could be happy living there… especially with the marvelous views of table mountain off in the distance. It would be like I could reach out and grab a new life but always being just short. Don’t worry, after feeling like this for some time on the bus we couldn’t see townships anymore. Nope, it was back to stellar views of the richer side of Cape Town. It was like an outside force was trying to push the bad from my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment