There was also another part of the service that was pretty stellar. I’m not completely sure of the structure of a church service so I was kind of confused when it was happening. The reverend let the congregation know that it was time for prayer. So I think to myself… “All right, bow my head and listen.” I did, and at first nothing happened. So I thought it was silent prayer time. Then I hear a woman praying quietly out loud in Xhosa. I couldn’t help but think it rood until I figured out that she was praying for the entire congregation and the guests at the service that say. Seriously, her voice grew louder and louder as the prayer went on and then grew softer to the voice level she started at. Now, I don’t really know how prayers are supposed to go. I’m thinking that it really doesn’t matter. But golly gee, was it amazing to listen to… especially because you could feel her passion travel throughout the room. Awesome. The service ended, and it was time for last goodbyes. I really won’t be going back to this church on Sunday. I’m sad to realize this but having this experience will be enough.
On Monday, it was back to class on the University of Cape Town campus. I was looking forward to this discussion today. We talked about the social change model of leadership and how its characteristics can be applied to both Minnesota and South Africa. Don’t you love when class time goes by fast because you are that engaged? Like I’ve said before, this class has helped me realize how much I love learning again. The characteristic that we had was “congruence.” We defined it as “making sure that your core values are in-sync with your actions and that you are aware of the process.” Since this topic was much more theoretical, my partner and I had a hard time picking out things to talk about. After some thought, we realized that one aspect that South Africans in Gugulethu are congruent on is community and relationships. People value just calling for no reason or sitting down to a meal for hours on end. I know that sitting at a restaurant for a long time really bugs me. Then again, I have that American mentality. Here, it’s great that you have that much time because you can really catch up with people or simply just enjoy one another’s company. Think about it. Do you think that you are congruent with what you consider to value the most? Honestly, I know I am with some things. But I look forward to being more congruent with things I claim to value when I get home in a couple of days.
The rest of the day was spent shopping at Greenmarket square. I was a decent bargainer and got some great items to bring home. A bunch of people decided to get tattoos, which was pretty fun to watch. I was told to get one too, but there’s no way that I would; I hate needles too much! Tuesday also consisted of watching people get tattoos. The sound is actually quite relaxing. I was falling asleep listening to it.
Some of us tried to go to a Jewish Holocaust museum that was in town but it was closed. However, on the way we ran into a botanical garden so we walked through that. It was simply lovely.
So there you have it! I am all caught up. I am somewhat relieved but wish I had more answers. I wish I could comprehend everything I’ve seen. I wish had some remarkable thing to say. Then again, I came here to learn. And I’m still in that process. Leadership. It’s all about the process.
Thanks for reading. I really appreciate it! :)
2 comments:
We look really good in that picture. :) So glad you are with us on this trip!
Hey Trisha,
This is Hil's dad... again!
How is that for irony.... a Jewish Holocaust museum and a beautiful botanical garden.
Good luck with the rest of the trip!
Hil's dad
Post a Comment