My day began early with a 9 am lecture at UCT. Our lecturer, Steven, spoke about his political activist work and about growing up in exile during apartheid. I also asked him if he had any advice about staying and learning in Gugulethu next week. He replied that we should always greet people and ask to take pictures. I think that knowing to adapt to these norms will be useful in building bonds with our home stay families. He also mentioned that children love to be photographed! I can’t wait to bring my donations and work with them next week. Children can be so candid; I know that they will help bring this adventure into a completely different perspective. Steven has led an incredible life thus far and has so many college degrees; I don’t even remember them all. However, his passion for learning and developing theoretical frameworks that can be applied to South African politics is another inspiration for me. I have a feeling that I won’t be able to count the number of times that I will be inspired on this trip. It’s still difficult for me to believe that I am here for a class. This week has been all about being a Cape Town tourist; believe me, I have the pictures to prove it. However, even though I have never had Aaron (my instructor) in class prior to this trip, I do know the Leadership Minor and do expect some challenging and engaging discussions later in the class.
We had lunch today on the waterfront. Many people were not satisfied with the food they ordered, but I on the other hand thought my Chicken Masala Crepe was quite tasty. I am enjoying the fact that African cuisine is similar to Guyanese cuisine; I think that it is helping me to adjust to the food here quicker than normal. After lunch, I was able to buy a “Cape Storm” fleece. Normally, I am extremely picky when it comes to spending my money. However, I needed this jacket because I was not prepared for how cold the weather is here during the winter. As a Minnesotan, you’d think that I would know how to deal with a winter setting. Apparently, I was wrong. But I wouldn’t trade the weather for the world. Then it was on to Robben Island. It was a 40 minute ferry ride to the island. Boy was it a ride. I spent not ten minutes on this ferry before I was feeling completely seasick; for some reason, my body cannot handle topsy-turvy waters like it used to. I hope it’s not a sign that I’m getting older… Anyway, we arrived at the island for a tour. For those that didn’t know, Robben Island used to be a prison in South African; it was the place where Nelson Mandela was housed for 18 years. We were led around the island by a tour guide that spent time in prison there. His experiences put into perspective the cruelties of apartheid. Some of the things he described are too crude and inhumane for me to write about. Even though I felt that we were rushed through the tour, I am happy to say that I went there.
Finally, we stopped at Steers for dinner. Steers is a fast food place comparable to Burger King and McDonald’s. Even though I can say that the food was mediocre (I had a cheeseburger and fries), I’m glad I went. It was a great way to get a healthy dose of South African culture. The use of ketchup isn’t great; instead people use thousand Island dressing or bbq sauce. Also, I’ve noticed that public displays of affection (more commonly known as PDA) are common everywhere you go. I couldn’t help but notice a couple in the restaurant waiting for their food. Let’s just say that they seemed to be very happy to be together in a fast food restaurant. Like I’ve said before, I’m here to simply learn; I’m glad that the opportunity to learn about all aspects of South African culture has presented itself in some unusual ways.
Tomorrow, I get to live out one of my dreams. I’m going on an African safari! We’ll be up bright and early at 4:15am.
For more adventures, stay tuned…
1 comment:
Wow!! Cape Town is amazing and so picturesque, especially when the photo is viewed full screen on the browser. I can't help wondering what Steers mascot is... and is slogan; just a conjecture here, drawing from your words, Trisha, it could be "They're lovin' each other" or "Have PDA your way".
Post a Comment