After 30 hours of traveling, I woke up to this in front of my house this morning. Welcome to Cape Town, South Africa!
I have to say that I am quite pleased with all of the plane flights that it took to arrive in Cape Town. The 18 hour flight from JFK to Johannesburg was spilt into two flights, which was nice. I took the opportunity to sleep for most of each flight; this was the main factor in passing time quickly. When we arrived in Joberg, my group and I had to collect our luggage and transport it to our flight to Cape Town. This was one of the most physically difficult experiences I have had in long time; both of my checked suitcases were 50 pounds each and I also had to carry my backpack and laptop case that had books in it. While this was difficult, I have learned a lesson: when I get to Joberg again, I will definitely use a trolley. It was at the airport that it first hit me that I was in a different country. As each member of my group was checking in to our connecting flight, two porters were in front of the counter to assist with our luggage. After helping each person, they asked for a tip. While I felt that this was legitimate, I did feel like we were targeted because we were an American group. As a group, we ended up tipping close to 500 Rand (about 71 U.S. dollars). The porters did not seem to want tips from the women in our group, but they went as far as to withhold a boarding pass from a student unless he provided a tip. I remember thinking “This has got to be illegal.” Then it hit me; we’re not in Kansas anymore.
The flight to Cape Town was a quick walk in the park compared to the previous flight; it was about two hours long, and we were very early. I remember feeling much more nervous than excited to be finally arriving at my destination. South Africa is a completely different world. Even though I am with a group of 16 other students plus thoughtful faculty, my actions are still my own and only I can be responsible for them. This simple thought made me feel not only completely homesick but lonely as well. I know I’ve got a good head on my shoulders, but it doesn’t make me any less nervous to be in a world completely foreign to Minneapolis.
Today, we took the day to adjust to life abroad. It began with a tour of the University of Cape Town campus (this is where we will be holding class). I have to admit as we began walking to the orientation site, I felt extremely overwhelmed. Not only am I in a different country, but I have to worry about class and homework as well. It’s not that I didn’t know this beforehand, but everything with this trip is hitting me in waves. I was filled with trepidation as we went to our orientation.
Interstudy is the program coordinator of my study abroad program. The staff members are amazing and considerate people. It is easy to feel the effort that they have put into ensuring that this experience is positive for us. One of the main things that we have talked about is safety in Cape Town. Some of the “rules” are similar to Minneapolis and life at the U of M. For example, we aren’t supposed to walk alone at night. The safety information was a little overwhelming but I find solace in the fact that I will be with a group of people I know for all outings.
When we began the tour, my feelings of trepidation melted away and were replaced with excitement and pure awe for my surroundings. The UCT campus is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. It sits at the foot of Table Mountain. As you can imagine, walking at this type of an altitude is much different than the U of M. It made the walk quite a challenge, but it was definitely worth it. The scenery is breathtaking. Many of the buildings are brightly colored and have ivy growing on the walls. I was able to go into the building that is equivalent to the Northrop Auditorium; it gave me an immediate connection to the U of M.
After the campus tour, we headed to the waterfront for lunch. I had never really realized how “American” I really am until today. As an American, I can say that I am completely immersed in my busy, on-the-go culture. South African culture is very laid back. Maybe it was because I was unbelievably hungry, the kind of hungry when all you smell is food. The waiters were professional while maintaining a casual presence. However, it took awhile to get our drinks and then our food. We were at the restaurant for two hours. I can’t believe how impatient I was; I don’t remember a time when I spent two hours at a restaurant in Minnesota. Maybe that’s saying something.
We then had some time to explore the waterfront. As with all scenery so far, it was stunning. We were able to see Robben Island which is the place where Nelson Mandela spent most of his time in prison. After walking along the waterfront, we went exploring in the mall area. I find it completely ironic that stores such as Burberry, Hugo Boss, and Gucci could be prosperous so close to townships so immersed in poverty and suffering. How does that even work?
Although I am still completely overwhelmed, I am excited to open my mind and heart to another culture and lifestyle. To those who know me best, I am not a person known for taking risks and opening up in such a short span. But I figure, it was one step to consider the program “that fell into my lap” and another to actually get on the set of planes that got me here. I must be moving in a good direction, right? Well, stay tuned for more updates on my life-changing experience… it’s bound to be a roller coaster ride!
6 comments:
Wow!! SO much excitement in your voice and you've learned so much about yourself already...give yourself a little break for trying to adjust to the culture of something a little less time-frantic than we are in the states! Thanks for sharing Trisha! Can't wait to hear more
The adventure begins! Isn't it amazing how you can draw so many parallels with your life in the States, even though so much of your surroundings are completely different? It sounds like you're having a good time already...and yes, you should use the trolleys at the airport!
Some excellent observations... I especially like your words about the prospering high-end stores while nearby townships live in poverty; as the unfortunate saying goes "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer", both in South Africa and at home. One can only ask where that leaves the middle class?
ah trisha! you sound like you are LOVING it. i'm so jealous of that picture - it looks amazing there! be sure to take tons and tons of photos (i'm sure i don't need to tell you that :) ) to share in the fall! have fun, girl, and don't stress if things are overwhelming for a while - enjoy it! theta love!
Enjoy every minute-- you deserve this trip!!! I am so excited for you. I can hardly wait to hear all of your wonderful stories and see all of the beautiful pictures!!! Have a fabulous time!!!
Oh, TRex. Your musings are so sage. I'm glad you survived the journey - It sounds like you're having a good adventure so far and that you're already having life experiences! Are you going to see animals?
Post a Comment